Apple Pie Hints & Tips
Who can resist a slice of warm apple pie or homemade applesauce? Not me!
These hints and tips will ensure you prepare tasty apple deserts. Learn how many cups it takes to bake the average pie, when the ideal time is to purchase apples and more.
- Most recipes call for five to six cups of sliced apples for a 9- or 10-inch pie dish.
- One pound of apples is equivalent to 2 – 2 ½ cups chopped/sliced apples, or three medium apples.
- Purchase in season apples for best flavor.
- Store apples between 32 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Store in perforated plastic bag.
- Peel apples; the skin will not break down during cooking and will toughen.
- Add cut apples to water with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Cut apples into quarters, then core.
- Use apple peels to make apple jelly.
- Use both sweet and tart apples when making applesauce and pies.
Share with us your hints and tips in the comments section below.
“The kitchen is where friends and family come together for good food and conversations that nourish the soul.” ~ CK Kochis
Subscribe to UnBox Your Kitchen Journal and we’ll deliver recipes, kitchen tips and articles to your inbox!