Leeks ‘n Spinach Soup
Leeks grow in abundance in the woods near my home. I love the mild aroma of the wild onions in the air after it rains. The best time I’ve found to harvest leeks in my area is early May (this will be different based on your region).
During the period when leeks are prime for picking, I like to substitute leeks to many of dish I would normally add onions. Leeks are especially wonderful in soups.
Leeks 'n Spinach Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 leeks bulb only, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 33 oz chicken broth
- 32 oz cannellini beans 2 - 16 ounce cans; rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dried barley
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat
- Add the leeks and garlic; saute until tender, about 5 minutes
- Stir in the chicken broth, cannellini beans, bay leaves and cumin
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and stir in barley
- Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove bay leaves
- Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper
- Serve immediately
Learn an easy way to make Homemade Chicken Broth.