With strawberries in season, my daughter has fallen in love with making homemade ice-cream. She can now crack and
separate all the eggs without splitting the yolks and not have any land on the floor, quite an achievement! The ice cream only uses the yolks – so what to do with those whites? Voila! Coconut Macaroons…. There are a number of recipes out there, but I wanted one that was free of granulated sugar and fit the number of egg whites we had left over from ice cream making.
If you are following the Autoimmune Paleo healing diet, have successfully re-introduced egg whites at Stage 2, and tolerate honey and coconut – you can add this recipe to your sweet treats repertoire.
- 140 g eggs whites 5-6 eggs depending on the size*
- 200 g shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey
- Pinch of pink or celtic sea salt
- Turn oven onto 180C.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks.
- Gently heat honey.
- Mix vanilla extract, shredded coconut and honey into the whipped egg whites.
- Grease or line a tray with bleach free baking paper or a silicon mat.
- Spoon mixture onto tray. Use back of spoon to pat down and shape the macaroon.
- Bake at 175C for 12 minutes (should be crispy brown underneath). If you want the tops to be a bit brown, flip the macaroons over and bake for another three minutes.
- Place onto a cooling rack until cool. Store in an airtight container.
Stock image from . Click [HERE] to find this and similar images.
Sheryl Cook is a New Zealander living in Australia with her husband and two daughters, working as an Integrative & Functional Nutrition Practitioner. Sheryl became passionate about holistic nutrition after struggling with day-to-day life, finding out she had high thyroid antibodies (TPO). Doctors said nothing could be done. Sheryl enjoys empowering others to take back their own health and wellness at sherylcook.com.au.
This recipe appeared in the November 2016 issue of Elements For A Healthier Life Magazine on page 57; recipe by Sheryl Cook.
Subscribe to UnBox Your Kitchen Journal and we’ll deliver recipes, kitchen tips and articles to your inbox!